ukancestor.com

Home

Search

Family History

Local History

Locality

Forums

Contribute

Guest Book

Contact Us

Add URL

 

Middlesex Historic Buildings and Monuments
You Are Here: UKAncestor.com - Local History - Middx Historic Buildings (1)

 

The following list of historic buildings and monuments has been extracted from the following book:

Title:  Middlesex, The Jubilee of the County Council, 1889-1939

Author:  C.W. Radcliffe

Printed: In Great Britain by Richard Clay and Company, LTD.  Bungay, Suffolk

b

b

Acton

St. Mary's Church, rebuilt 1865, contains earlier fittings, including 17th-century highly enriched plate.

Berrymead Priory (now Constitutional Club), possible 16th-century origin, but extensively altered.

George And Dragon Hotel, probably two early 17th-century houses, much altered.


b

Return to the top of the page

b

Ashford

St. Matthew's Church, rebuilt 1858, earlier fittings.

Clock House Farm, probably 17th century, much altered; two original windows.

Ford Farm, possibly 17th century, partly burnt 1716, since altered.


b

Return to the top of the page

b

Bedfont East

St. Mary's Church, 12th-century chancel and nave, with later additions; original chancel arch and doorway, and medieval wall-paintings of unusual quality.

Pates Manor Farm, house and barn-house probably 16th century, with various additions on E. side; reset panels with Christ's Hospital arms (former owners) in porch; weather-bordered barn.

Bennets Farm, probably early 18th century.

Fawns, 17th Century House, much altered.

Green Man Inn, 17th century, largely rebuilt in brick.


b

Return to the top of the page

b

Brentford

St. Lawrence's Church, has 15th century W. Tower and bell cast by William Culverden, c. 1510; font, c. 1500.

Boston House, apparently rebuilt 1622-3, and further works carried out in 1671, probably including N. wing and E. outbuildings; noteworthy ceilings, staircase, fireplaces, 17th-century hall-screen.

Beaufort House and Chatham House, originally one late 17th- or early  18th-century house.

Linden House and Cobden House, the same, but partly refronted.

Various other houses of similar period in The Butts and High Street.

Old England, site on the Thames bank bordering Isleworth parish, has yielded finds dating from Bronze Age downwards, and excavations indicate a Hall-start settlement of some size.

Ferry House, late 17th or early 18th century; interior modernized.

Grove House, (now N., Middle and S. Grove), same period, but much altered.

Various other houses of similar period.


b

Return to the top of the page

b

Chiswick

St. Nicholas' Church, W. Tower 1416-35, remainder rebuilt 1882; coffin-lid in churchyard 13th-century Purbeck marble slab; various 17th-century monuments, etc.

Chiswick House, 16th century; existing Grosvenor wing added c. 1700; 1730-6 Palladian villa added; original house demolished, 1788; gateway ascribed to Inigo Jones.

Church Hall, 1707, much altered.

Chiswick Mall

Woodroffe House, late 17th to 18th century.

Bedford House and Eynsham House, originally one 18th-century building with modern additions.

Thames View and Lingard House, originally one 18th-century house, much altered.

Red Lion House, c. 1700, modern attic-storey and refaced S.E. front; original fireplace and staircase.

Walpole House, probably dates mainly from late 16th century, but little more than main chimney-stack left; S.E. front and addition on N.W. side early 18th century, 17th- and 18th-century panelling, fireplace and staircase.

Strawberry House and Morton House, c. 1700, former re-fronted c. 1730.

Swan House and Cedar House, originally one late 17th-century house largely refaced 18th century.

Boston House, late 17th century, large early 18th-century S.W. addition.

4, 5 and 6, Chiswick Square, 17th-century houses.

Latimer House and Holly House, late 17th-century house, refronted etc. 18th century.

House E. Side of Church Street, now three tenements, much altered and added to, probably 16th-century plastered timber-framing house.

Burlington Corner, late 17th to 18th-century weather-boarded, timber-framing house, containing reset early 16th-century linenfold panelling; later additions.

Hogarth House, 17th century, with early 18th-century S. addition; some original fittings.

Duke of Devonshire's Almshouses, c. 1700, and many other 17th-century houses.

Strand-on-the-Green

17th-Century Houses, many extensively altered, including Bulls Head Inn, City Barge Inn and Ship House.


b

Return to the top of the page

b

Cowley

St. Laurence's Church, 12th century nave; chancel rebuilt, and probably widened 13th century century; later and modern restorations and additions; palimpsest brasses; fragments of 15th-century tracery and early 16th-century popey-heads in modern screen; remains of moulded stone bowl 12th or 13th century in churchyard.

Manor Farm, built c.1600, later additions; 17th-century barns.

The Old Cottage, early 16th century.

Barnacre, Maygood Farm, Plum-Tree Cottage, Crown Inn, The Old House, all 17th century, subject to certain alterations.


b

Return to the top of the page

b

Cranford

St. Dunstan's Church, 15th century, with later additions; bell probably cast by William Burford c.1380; monument to Sir R. Aston, 1612; monument of Lady Berkeley, 1635 (said to have been made in Rome), palimpsest brass.

Homestead Moat, site of Manor house of Stanford le Mote.

Cranford House, E. block of E. wing, possibly early 18th century; house largely rebuilt during 18th century ; early 17th-century barn.

The Rectory, partly 17th century; brick-faced and added to 18th century century; probably 17th-century barn.

Spingfield House (now flats), probably early 18th century, later additions.

Moated Mound, roughly circular, 80yds, N.N.E. of bridge, mostly filled in.


b

Return to the top of the page

b

Drayton, West

St. Martin's Church, signs of 13th-century origin, but largely rebuilt 15th century, and later restored; elaborately carved 15th-century font; inscribed chalice and paten, 1507.

The Gatehouse of former Manor House, early 16th century, but with alterations.

The Vicarage, N.E. wing probably 17th century, with 18th-century additions and rebuilding.

Six Bells Inn, 17th century, refaced and altered.

Old Oak Lodge, 16th century.

The Copse, 16th century, refaced and added to in 18th century.

The Old House, late 17th to 18th century.

Avenue House, 16th-century E. wing, remainder 18th century.

Southlands, early 18th century, with barn probably 17th century.

Old Meadows, probably 16th century.

The Frays, possibly 15th century, but refaced.


b

Return to the top of the page

b

Ealing

St. Mary's Church, rebuilt 1866; contains old fittings; 15th-century brass; 17th-century monuments and plate.

Rochester House, said to have been built 1712; subsequent S.W. addition.


b

Return to the top of the page

b

Edgware

St. Margaret's Church, rebuilt 1764 and later reconstructed; W. tower probably 15th century; Elizabethan cup, 1562.

Brockley Hill, records and traces of Roman Settlement. 

Atkinson's Almshouses, 1680.

Nicoll's Farm, late 17th to 18th century, but refronted.

Bury Farm, probably early 17th century, later added to and altered.


b

Return to the top of the page

b

Edmonton

All Saints' Church, chiefly rebuilt 15th century on site of 12th-century predecessor, with subsequent additions; early 16th-century tombs.

Pymme's Park, 16th-century house apparently entirely rebuilt early 17th century and again remodelled 18th century.

Salisbury House, late 16th to 17th century with modern additions; 17th-century overmantels.

Vicarage Cottage, Lamb's Cottage and other 17th-Century Houses, several refaced or altered.


b

Return to the top of the page

b

Enfield

St. Andrew's Church, chancel rebuilt 13th century, 14th-century arcades; alter-tomb of Joyce, Lady Tiptoft, 1446, with a brass and later canopy; monument to Sir Nicholas Raynton, Sheriff and Lord Mayor of London, 1646; oval wall-tablet by Nicholas Stone, 1617, etc.

Homestead Moats: (1)on Enfield Golf Course, about 1 mile W.S.W. of church; (2)Camlet Moat about 2½ miles W.N.W. of church;  (3)Durants, 1¾ miles E. of church (practically all filled in); (4)Plantation Farm, 2¾ miles N.E. of church, S. arm filled in.

House on E. Side of Gentleman's Row, practically rebuilt, but portions of early 16th-century work discovered and sent to British Museum; contains fittings from old Enfield Palace, including 17th-century ceiling.

Grammar School, mid 16th century, refitted 18th century and later.

Forty Hall, built 1629-32 by Sir N. Raynton, design ascribed to Inigo Jones; repaired and modernized, 18th century; elaborate 17th-century ceiling and hall-screen.

Dower House, 17th century, enlarged and altered 18th century.

Worcester Lodge and The Hermitage, early 18th century.

Rose and Crown Inn, probably same period, but much altered.

King James and The Tinker Inn, 17th century, refitted and altered 18th century.

Glasgow Stud Farm, 17th century; noteworthy staircase.

Vicarage, (largely modern), E. and W. wings possibly 16th century.

Clarendon Cottage, Gentleman's Row, altered and remodelled in 18th-century, retains 17th-century chimney-stack.

Old Park Farm, 17th century, some original mullioned and transomed  windows, otherwise much altered.

Earthwork at Old Park, 1,250yds . S.W. of Church; N. and W. sides clear; S. side much levelled; E. almost obliterated.


b

Return to the top of the page

b

Feltham

St. Dunstan's Church, rebuilt 1802, enlarged 1855-6; some earlier fittings.

Manor House, reputed rebuilt after fire 1634. Barn probably 16th to 17th century.

Also 17th- century Cottages.


b

Return to the top of the page

b

Finchley

St. Mary's Church, rebuilt 15th century, early 13th-century font.

St. Paul's Church (modern), late 14th-century bell from Hatford, Berkshire.

Homestead Moats: (1)Bishop's Lodge on Highgate Golf Course (2)at Manor House, both fragmentary.

Verandah House, late 17th century or early 18th century.

Spaniards Inn, 17th century, extensively altered, added to and refaced.


b

Return to the top of the page

b

Friern Barnet

St. James's Church, retains 12th-century doorway, otherwise 19th century.

Campe Almshouses, erected 1612, restored and altered 19th century; five old stone panels on front.


b

Return to the top of the page

b

Greenford

Holy Cross Church, restored and altered 15th or early 16th century; two medieval bells - (1)14th century, uninscribed, (2)cast by William Culverden about 1510; 1450 brass, half-figure of priest; 17th- or early 18th-century baluster font with contemporary cover; best heraldic glass in county - arms of Eton and King's College.

The Grange, probably early 17th-century timber framing, recased in brick 18th century; some original panelling.

Barn at Greenford Green Farm, 17th century, with later addition; also 17th-century house S.S.W. of church.


b

Return to the top of the page

b

Hampton

St. Mary's Church, rebuilt 1829-31, contains many earlier fittings.

Hampton Court Palace, commenced in 1514, many 16th-century additions and alterations, 17th-century works by Wren, etc.

Faraday House, 18th century, extensively altered. 16th-17th century outbuilding on S.E.

Court Cottage, c. 1700, parapet later and back refaced.

The Old Court House, early 18th century, leased to Wren.

House (two tenements), 25yds. S. of Faraday House, possibly 16th century.

Old Malt or Brew House, c. 1700.

St. Albans, possibly late 17th century, extensively altered.

Old Grange, mid 17th century, much altered.

Feathers Cottage, probably 16th to 17th century; and many other 17th- and 18th-century houses.


b

Return to the top of the page

b

Hampton Wick

Wolsey's Cottage, late 16th century; and other 17th-century houses.


b

Return to the top of the page

b

Hanworth

St. George's Church, rebuilt 1812, with some 15th-century glass and various fittings; panel of arms of James I, 1625.

Hanworth Park, remains of fireplaces, walls and moat (S. and S.W. of church). The house, originally belonging to Henry VIII, burned 1797.

Hanworth House, partly c. 1600, much altered.


b

Return to the top of the page

b

Harefield

St. Mary's Church, 13th-century window, 14th-century S. aisle; foreign communion rails with richly carved panels; late medieval font; highly remarkable series of monuments mostly to members of the Newdigate family, including fine canopied and painted monument to Alice, Countess of Derby, 1636; Elizabethan Communion cup, 1561.

Chapel at Moor Hall Farm, early 13th century; later brick repairs.

Homestead Moat, 350yds. S.E. of

Brackenbury Farm, house, barn and moat: house 16th- to 17th-century work; 16th-century barn; moat, formerly surrounding house, complete on three sides.

Almshouses, built 1600.

Harefield Place, remains of 16th-century brick garden walls.

Breakspear, house possibly 16th century, practically entirely rebuilt 17th century; and early 17th-century dovecot.

White Horse Inn, late 16th century and modern additions.

Manor Court, probably 16th century, much altered.

The Cricketer's Inn, 17th century, walls refaced, modern additions on W.

King's Arms Inn, 15th century, largely rebuilt in 17th century, and later additions.

Whiteheath Farm, 17th-century house and barn: house walls refaced, later additions.

Meadow Cottage, 16th century with 17th-century alterations and additions.

Cripps Farm Cottage, house and barn; 16th century, with later additions to barn.

Jack's Cottage, 17th-century chimney-stack surrounded by rebuilt timbers from earlier building and later brickwork.

Bourne Farm and barns, 17th century.

Highway Farm, rebuilt, retaining 17th-century chimney-stack.

New Years Green Pond Farm, late 16th or early 17th century; modern addition on E., and early 17th-century oven.

New Years Green Farm, 17th century, largely rebuilt.

Crows Nest Farm, late 16th or early 17th century, later additions and front refaced.

Swakeley Farm, house and barns; house c.1709, has later additions.


b

Return to the top of the page

b

Halington

Church of St. Peter and St. Paul, 12th-century nave and doorway; chancel built or rebuilt c.1340, early 16th-century timber porch; 15th- and 16th-century brasses; tomb recesses probably 14th century; 16th-century tablet memorials; palimpsest brasses.  W. Tower late 16th century.

Church Farm, 16th- or 17th-century barn.

Dawley Manor Farm, 16th century (E. Wing extended 17th century), with original window with four mullion-shaped diamonds; timber-framed barns, probably late 16th century.  Moat on opposite side of road now filled in.

Dower House, chiefly 16th century.


b

Return to the top of the page

b

Harmondsworth

St. Mary's Church, 12th-century origin with later additions; 12th-century doorway and font (possibly slightly later); fairly extensive remains of late medieval seating; 15th-century hammer-beam roof over N. chapel.

Unusually Fine 14th-or 15th-century Barn and Moat, remainder of alien priory.  Moat retains W. arm, traces of N. and S. enclosure.

The Grange, 17th century.

Harmondsworth Hall, rebuilt or remodelled 18th century, but incorporates 17th-century chimney-stack.

Five Bells Inn, 17th century, much altered.

Sun House, probably 16th century, extended 18th century.

King William Inn and Old Magpie Inn, 17th century, much altered.

Palmers farm, built c. 1600, largely refaced in brick.

Perrott's Farm, 17th century, cross wing at N. end.

Heathrow Farm, house late 16th century with later additions and refaced; three barns, 16th and 17th century.

Perry Oaks Farm, house probably late 16th century, later remodelled; barn N.W. of house probably 16th century; 17th-century pigeon-house.

College Farm, 17th century, largely refaced; cross wing at E. end.

White Horse Inn, 17th century, much altered and refronted.

Weekly House and Barns, 17th century.

Also various 17th-century Houses and Cottages; Earthwork nearly 2 miles E. of Church.


b

Return to the top of the page

b

Harrow-On-The-Hill

St. Mary's Church, a cruciform church, the most extensive example of 13th-century work in the County; 12th-century doorway, & c., in Tower; late 14th- and 15th-century brasses and palimpsest brasses; good 15th- or 16th-century door; 12th-century font with circular enriched bowl; Elizabethan cup, 1568; a handsome pulpit given in 1708.

Homestead Moat, 1,150yds. S.W. of church, formerly rectangular; part of S.E. arm now forms pond.

Harrow School, founded 1571-2, first opened 1611; original building still survives; 17th-century fireplace.

The Old House, formerly the "Queen's Head", apparently largely rebuilt in 17th or early 17th century.


b

Return to the top of the page

b

Harrow Weald

Grims Dyke, earthworks.

Priory House, rebuilt but incorporates base of 16th-century chimney-stack; 17th-century garden wall.

Seven Bells Inn and Farm Cottage, 17th century.


b

Return to the top of the page

b

Hayes

St. Mary's Church, boarded and panelled roof; timber porch, originally 16th century, reconstructed; timber lych-gate, probably early 16th century; 14th- and 15th-century brasses; 12th- or 13th-century font; late 16th-century altar tomb; monument to Sir E. Fenner, 1611-12; 13th- and 15th-century wall paintings; 13th-century piscina.

Homestead Moat, at site of Old Manor House, 750yds. W. of Church, practically filled in.

Manor House, N.E. part early 16th century S.E. slightly later, whole refaced in brick 17th or 17th century with modern additions.


b

Return to the top of the page

b

Hendon

St. Mary's Church, 13th-century chancel work; later Renaissance monument to John Wolstenholme, 1669; tablet memorials of note; very bodly carved heraldic slab of touch to Sir John Whichcote, 1677; remains of 13th-century decorative painting and 16th- or 17th-century black-letter texts; painting of royal arms (Stuart); rich, elaborate 12th-century font.

17th-Century Well in the Grove, N.W. of Highwood Hill.

Copt Hall, rebuilt 1624 and extensively altered.

Frith Manor, rebuilt 18th century, but with 16th-century stone fireplace; linen-fold panelling from elsewhere.

Bittacy House (modern), contains woodcarving of James I.

Nicoll Amlshouses, built 1696, extensively repaired 19th century.

Rosebank, built 1678, altered 1719.

The Grove, late 16th or early 17th century; old panelling.

Rising Sun Inn, 17th century, extensively altered.

Church End Farm, 17th century.

Two 17th-Century Cottages; at Model Farm and barn 80yds. E.; also other Houses of same Period.


b

Return to the top of the page

b

Heston

St. Leonard Heston Church, has timber lych-gate; good 15th- or 16th-century door; interesting brasses.

Osterly Park, almost completely remodelled from Sir T. Gresham's house of 1577; stables probably originals, 1570-80, though altered; reconstructed by Robert Adam, 1761.

Old Cote, probably early 16th-century house.  White House retains part early 16th-century roof.  St. Laurence cottage, 17th century.


b

Return to the top of the page

b

privacy

Ancestry.com UK & Ireland Collection



All rights reserved.  Terms and conditions of use.

Webmaster: D. AdamsLast Updated: 06/06/02

Free Web space provided by RootsWeb